Monday, October 5, 2009

The Gratitude Experiment

Thanksgiving is just around the corner. I know, it's scary how time flies when you're.....well you know. Anyway, most people take Thanksgiving Day to think about what they're thankful for, hence the name - go figure. But giving thanks is something that should be done every day.

That is why my friend, Bernie, decided to start a "Gratitude Experiment" for the month of October (I think it's very fitting he chose October to start it.....he's smarter than he looks.....hehehe. Love ya Bernie!) The rules of the experiment are simple and primarily pertain to Facebook use but, I'm sure anyone can join in even if they don't use facebook. He proposed that everyone use their fb status to state what they are grateful for. When ever the participant logs on to fb they change their status to what they are grateful for at that moment. If they have any complaining or negative statements to make it's ok, but those are done first and followed up by a statement of gratitude. At the end of the month everyone who participated should notice a positive difference in their lives.

The principle is not a new one. It has long been believed that one attracts what one gives off. If you are negative and always have negative things to say then your life will probably be full of negativity and the same is true on the positive side. It's really not rocket science. But sometimes the most simple concepts are the hardest to grasp. Happiness, contentment, love, and health can't be as easy believing it, manifesting it, and being grateful for what we have in the mean time ....... can it?

Whether it can or not is up to each individual. No matter what the result is no one is out anything when they stop to count their blessings and be grateful for what they have every day. I'm grateful for the following (which is in no particular order and is just a partial list, obviously it would take forever to make a full list.):

-Family
-Friends
-A home
-the ability to get around
-the talents I've been blessed with
-help when I need it (and when I don't)
-Memories
-My rotten puppy (Ok she's not that rotten)
-Life
-Hyle trucks
-books
-love (past, present, future)
-modern technology
-new shoes
-lime drinks
-good secrets

Well, as I said there are too many to mention them all here. Perhaps I'll update the list through out the experiment.

I'm also grateful to Bernie for suggesting such a wonderful endeavour. In tough times it's vital to remember what we have rather than what we have not. As a terminal optimist I usually see the glass as half full anyway, but sometimes even I need a little reminder that life is a gift.

As Travis Tritt said "It's a great day to be alive....."

No comments: